Membrillo, chorizo & cheddar toastie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 1
- 1 tbsp membrillo (quince paste)
- 2 thick slices sourdough or good-quality white bread
- 4-5 thin slices chorizo
- 50g mature cheddar , grated (or another strong, hard or melty cheese leftover from the Christmas cheeseboard)
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 large sage leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- STEP 1
Heat a large frying pan. Spread the membrillo paste over one slice of bread (you might need to mash it first with 1 tsp water if it’s very firm), top with the chorizo and cheese, and sandwich with the other slice. Spread the outside of both pieces of bread with mayo, and press on the sage leaves.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in the pan and cook the toastie for 2-3 mins each side, squashing with a fish slice every now and then, until the bread is crisp and golden and the cheese has melted. Cut in half to serve.