Grilled peach panzanella
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
This refreshing salad is a new take on an Italian classic, with a touch of sweetness - pair it with pork belly for a summer roast
- 3 banana shallots , finely sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- pinch of golden caster sugar
- 3 firm peaches , halved, flat peaches are nice, if you can get them
- 3 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of red chilli flakes
- pinch of fennel seeds
- juice ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp capers , rinsed
- 2 slices day-old sourdough , torn into chunks
- handful wild rocket
- small pack basil , leaves picked
- fennel fronds, from the crispy pork belly recipe (optional)
- STEP 1
Quick-pickle the shallots in a bowl with the cider vinegar and sugar. Destone and slice the peaches.
- STEP 2
Put the peaches in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, the chilli flakes, fennel seeds and some seasoning. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and sear the peaches for 2 mins each side until they have char lines on them. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- STEP 3
Pour the vinegar from the shallots into a bowl and whisk together with the remaining olive oil and some seasoning to make a dressing.
- STEP 4
Put the peaches in a salad bowl or sharing platter with the lemon juice, shallots, capers and bread, season well and pour over the dressing. Add the rocket, basil and fennel fronds (if using), and toss thoroughly with your hands to combine.