- 3 banana shallots, finely sliced into rings
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- pinch of golden caster sugar
- 3 firm peaches, halved, flat peaches are nice, if you can get them
- 3 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of red chilli flakes
- pinch of fennel seeds
A dried seed that comes from the fennel herb, fennel seeds look like cumin seeds, only greener,…
- juice ½ lemon
Oval in shape, with a pronouced bulge on one end, lemons are one of the most versatile fruits…
- 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
Capers are the small flower buds of the Capparis shrub, which grows in the Mediterranean. As…
- 2 slices day-old sourdough, torn into chunks
- handful wild rocket
Rocket is a very 'English' leaf, and has been used in salads since Elizabethan times. It…
- small pack basil, leaves picked
Most closely associated with Mediterranean cooking but also very prevalent in Asian food, the…
- fennel fronds, from the crispy pork belly recipe (optional)
Quick-pickle the shallots in a bowl with the cider vinegar and sugar. Destone and slice the peaches.
Put the peaches in a bowl and toss with 1/2 tbsp olive oil, the chilli flakes, fennel seeds and some seasoning. Heat a griddle pan over a high heat and sear the peaches for 2 mins each side until they have char lines on them. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
Pour the vinegar from the shallots into a bowl and whisk together with the remaining olive oil and some seasoning to make a dressing.
Put the peaches in a salad bowl or sharing platter with the lemon juice, shallots, capers and bread, season well and pour over the dressing. Add the rocket, basil and fennel fronds (if using), and toss thoroughly with your hands to combine.