Steak panzanella salad with roasted lemons
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Bavette with sharp, sweet roasted lemons and crisp, spiced pitta bread makes a hearty meal that will satisfy even salad-phobics
- 1large unwaxed lemon , cut into thin rounds, then halved
- 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp za'atar
- 2 pitta breads , torn into pieces
- 200g leftover cooked bavette steak , thinly sliced
- 600g mixed tomatoes , smaller ones left whole, larger ones halved or cut into wedges
- 100g feta , crumbled
- ½ cucumber , halved and sliced
- 1 red onion , finely chopped
- 100g Kalamata olives , stoned and roughly chopped
- small pack mint , leaves picked and roughly chopped
- extra virgin olive oil , for drizzling
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/ gas 6. Put the lemon slices on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. Drizzle over 1 /2 tbsp oil and put in the oven on the highest shelf to roast for 15-20 mins, until the lemon has released its natural sugars and the peel has softened and begun to caramelise. Keep an eye on them – you may need to turn the tray so that they cook evenly.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, mix together the remaining oil and za’atar in a bowl, then toss in the pitta and use your hands to coat in the spiced oil. Spread out on a baking tray and roast for 15-20 mins until crisp and golden.
- STEP 3
About 5 mins before the lemons are ready, wrap the bavette in a foil parcel and put in the oven alongside the pitta bread to warm through.
- STEP 4
Mix all the other salad ingredients together in a large bowl. Add a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and season with black pepper and a little sea salt (the olives and feta will add salt so you shouldn’t need much).
- STEP 5
Add the lemons, spiced pitta and warmed bavette. Mix everything together with your hands, then divide between plates or serve sharing-style on a large platter.