- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 6 rashers thick-cut bacon
- 300g day-old sourdough or other crusty bread, torn into large chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 700g ripe mixed cherry tomatoes, any larger ones halved
- 100g mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp capers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp honey
- small bunch of basil, finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 80g rocket
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4. Put the bacon in a shallow baking tray in a single layer and bake for 15 mins, turning halfway through until just starting to crisp up. Add the bread pieces and 1 tbsp of the olive oil, season with black pepper and toss everything together. Bake for 10 mins more until the bread is lightly toasted and the bacon crisp, tossing again halfway through. Leave to cool, then chop the bacon into rough pieces.
- STEP 2
Tip the tomatoes in a colander set in the sink, sprinkle over 1 tsp sea salt and leave for 15 mins.
- STEP 3
Whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, shallot, capers, lemon zest and juice, honey and basil together in a small bowl and lightly season. Pour half the dressing into a large bowl and whisk in the remaining oil and 1 tbsp water. Tip in the rocket, drained tomatoes, bacon and croutons and toss to combine.
- STEP 4
Pile the panzanella onto a large serving platter and scatter over the extra basil leaves. Serve with the remaining dressing on the side.