Frothy cannellini soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Serves 8
Lesley Waters’ impressive soup makes a stylish, frothy and easy starter - try serving in a cappucino cup
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1large onion , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1medium leek , thinly sliced
- 3sticks celery , finely chopped
- 400g cans cannellini beans , drained and rinsed
- 1.7l vegetable stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 142ml carton double cream
- 150g pot fresh green pesto from the chiller cabinet
- 125g pack (around 16) sesame breadsticks , optional
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and tip in the onion, garlic, leek and celery. Cover and sweat the vegetables over a low heat for 8-10 mins until softened.
- STEP 2
Add the beans, stock and bay leaf, then season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, then simmer, covered, for 20-25 mins until the vegetables are completely softened. Allow to cool slightly.
- STEP 3
Whizz with a stick blender until smooth, pour in the cream and re-heat. The soup can be refrigerated or frozen at this point.
- STEP 4
Before serving, add half the pesto and whizz again for just a few seconds until the soup is flecked with basil. Season to taste. Ladle the soup into 8 cappuccino cups or bowls and spoon a dollop of the remaining pesto into each serving.