Crispy coconut prawn & mango salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 160g raw king prawns, peeled
- 200ml coconut milk
- 1 large lime, ½ juiced, ½ cut into wedges to serve
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp caster sugar or honey
- 2 large handfuls of watercress or baby spinach (or use a mixture)
- ½ mango, stoned, peeled and sliced or cut into chunks
- 1 small avocado, stoned, peeled and sliced
- ½ small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ½ small bunch of mint, leaves picked
- 1 large red chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- STEP 1
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, mix the remaining coconut milk with the rest of the lime juice, the sesame oil, sugar or honey, and a pinch of salt.
- STEP 3
Divide the watercress or spinach between two plates, then top with the mango, avocado and red onion slices, the mint and sliced chillies.
- STEP 4
Pour a 1-2cm depth of oil into a large saucepan over a medium heat. Combine the desiccated coconut with the cornflour and some seasoning. Drain the prawns and turn in the cornflour mixture to coat, shaking off any excess.
- STEP 5
Drop one prawn into the oil; if it sizzles, add a few more, but don’t overcrowd the pan. Fry for 1-2 mins on each side until crisp and golden, then transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. When all the prawns are fried, scatter them over the salad and drizzle with the dressing.