Courgette & broad bean risotto with basil pesto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2 as a main, 4 as a starter
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 medium courgettes (about 350g), cut into 1-2cm dice
- pinch of chilli flakes or pul biber
- pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 spring onions , finely sliced
- ½ lemon , zested
- 150g risotto rice
- 75ml dry white wine or vermouth
- 750g warm vegetable or chicken stock
- 80g broad beans , blanched and peeled
- courgette flowers , stamen removed and petals torn (optional)
- 20g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, grated, plus extra to serve
For the pesto
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- large handful of basil leaves , plus extra to serve
- handful of mint leaves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- STEP 1
To make the pesto, crush the garlic to a paste with a pinch of salt using a pestle and mortar. Add the pine nuts and pound to a coarse paste, then tear in the basil and mint, pounding again until they’ve broken down. Stir in the oil and cheese, then taste for seasoning – add more cheese if you like.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil and butter in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the courgettes, sprinkle in the chilli flakes and nutmeg, and season with salt and pepper. Fry for 3-5 mins until the courgettes are golden and softened. Add the spring onions and lemon zest, and stir for a minute or two. Tip in the rice and stir to coat in the oil until translucent, about 2 mins.
- STEP 3
Pour in the wine, then cook for a couple of minutes until it’s mostly evaporated. Add a ladleful of the stock and stir for a few minutes until it’s absorbed. Continue adding a ladleful at a time for 20-30 mins, stirring continually, until all of the stock is absorbed.
- STEP 4
Stir in the blanched broad beans and flowers, if using, and warm through for 2 mins. Remove from the heat and stir through the parmesan. Allow to sit for about 5 mins, then swirl through half of the pesto. Any remaining pesto will keep chilled for up to two days.
- STEP 5
Divide the risotto between bowls and scatter with the extra basil leaves, extra cheese and another spoonful of the pesto, if you like.