Chipotle chicken tinga
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves , crushed
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
For the salsa
- 1 small red onion , finely chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes , finely chopped
- 1 lime , zested and juiced
- 1 small bunch coriander , leaves and stalks finely chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- tortilla chips and guacamole, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large non-stick flameproof casserole dish or saucepan. Fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 10 mins, or until softened. Add the garlic and fry for 1 min more. Tip in the chipotle paste, tomatoes and sugar with half a can of water. Sit the chicken thighs in the sauce. Bring to a low simmer and cook, covered, for 20-25 mins, stirring often, until the liquid has reduced slightly and the chicken is cooked through.
- STEP 2
Using two forks, shred the chicken and stir it back through the sauce. Season to taste. If the sauce is too thin, return to the heat and simmer for 5 mins until the sauce has reduced more. To freeze, leave to cool completely and transfer to large freezerproof bags.
- STEP 3
To make the salsa, combine the red onion, tomatoes, lime zest and juice, coriander leaves and stalks. Season to taste. Serve the chicken with the tomato salsa, tortilla chips, guacamole and a scattering of coriander leaves.