Meatball black bean chilli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 beef meatballs
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 2 mixed peppers, sliced
- ½ large bunch coriander, leaves and stalks chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 heaped tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- cooked rice, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. Fry the meatballs for 5 mins until browned, then transfer to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- STEP 2
Fry the onion and peppers with a pinch of salt for 7 mins. Add the coriander stalks, garlic, paprika and cumin and fry for 1 min more. Tip in the sugar, tomatoes and beans, and bring to a simmer. Season, return the meatballs to the pan and cook, covered, for 15 mins. To freeze, leave to cool completely and transfer to large freezerproof bags.
- STEP 3
Serve the chilli with the rice and the coriander leaves scattered over.