Chickpea & roasted parsnip curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Parsnips work so well in this wintry vegan curry, adding flavour and texture. Serve with naans to soak up the lovely sauce
- 4 large parsnips , cut into batons (about 500g)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil or sunflower oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 onion , chopped
- bunch coriander , leaves picked and stalks very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp curry paste (we used balti)
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas , drained
- 400ml coconut milk
- 2 limes , 1 juiced and 1 cut into wedges
- yogurt , rice or naan bread, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the parsnips in a roasting tin and toss with half the oil, the cumin and some seasoning. Roast for 25-30 mins until softened.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in a pan. Cook the onion and coriander stalks for 15 mins, or until really soft and caramelising. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 min, then add the chickpeas and coconut milk. Simmer for 10 mins until the sauce reduces and clings to the chickpeas. Add the lime juice and season again to taste, if you like.
- STEP 3
Top with the parsnips, coriander leaves and lime wedges and serve with yogurt, rice or naan bread.