Chicken liver & chorizo open sandwich
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A thrifty, speedy supper for two – allow time for the Spanish sausage to add its paprika flavour to the creamy garlic and sherry sauce
- 25g butter
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , 1 crushed, 1 squashed
- 200g chorizo , skin removed, sliced
- 4 thick slices of bread
- 1 tbsp olive oil , plus extra for drizzling (optional)
- 300g chicken liver , trimmed of any sinew or tubes
- good splash of dry sherry (Fino works well)
- 4 tbsp double cream
- small handful of parsley , chopped
- STEP 1
Melt the butter in a frying pan. When sizzling, add the shallot and the crushed garlic, and stir around the pan for 1-2 mins to soften. Add the chorizo and cook for 4 mins over a medium heat to release some of the oils.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan until hot. Drizzle the slices of bread with the olive oil and rub the squashed garlic all over the surface. Put on the griddle pan and cook for 1 min each side until nicely charred with lines.
- STEP 3
Turn up the heat under the chorizo pan, add the chicken livers and sear for 1 min. Add the sherry, bubble for 1 min more, add the cream and parsley, then season well. Put 2 slices of bread on each plate, top with the chicken liver mixture and a drizzle of oil, if you like.