Cheat’s black dhal
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 small cauliflower , cut into small florets (retain the leaves)
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or melted coconut oil)
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 red chilli (deseeded if you don't like it too hot), finely chopped
- small pack coriander , stalks chopped, leaves picked to serve
- 2 x 250g pouches puy lentils
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 limes , 1 juiced, 1 cut into wedges to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the cauliflower, including the leaves, with 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp turmeric and 1 tbsp oil. Season well, spread out on a baking tray and bake for 15-20 mins or until cooked through and a little charred.
- STEP 2
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the remaining spices. Once the cumin seeds begin to pop, add the onion and cook for 5 mins or until softened. Stir in the garlic and ginger paste, chilli, coriander stalks and 1 tbsp olive oil, and sizzle for a few mins until fragrant. Stir in the lentils, coating them in the spices, then add the coconut milk and turn up the heat so it bubbles away. Cook for a few mins until the lentils have absorbed some of the coconut milk, then pour in the lime juice and season.
- STEP 3
Divide the dhal into four bowls, top with the cauliflower and a scattering of coriander leaves, and serve with lime wedges on the side.