Baked beans on toast with pancetta & poached eggs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- ½ tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large slices wholemeal bread
- 4 thin slices crispy pancetta or bacon (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a small saucepan and fry the onions with a pinch of salt for 10-12 mins over a medium heat until softened and starting to caramelise. Add the garlic and paprika, and cook for 1 min more. Stir through the beans, tomatoes, sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook for 10 mins over a medium heat, stirring regularly until thickened and saucy. Season.
- STEP 2
Bring a large pan of salted water to a simmer. Stir the water with the end of a wooden spoon, then crack an egg into the centre of the swirling water. Poach for 3 mins. Repeat with the second egg.
- STEP 3
Toast the bread, then top with the beans, eggs and pancetta, if you like.