Autumn piccalilli with pear
- Preparation and cooking time
- Plus salting overnight
- More effort
- 5 x 500ml jars
- 2 small cauliflower , cut into small florets
- 400g silverskin or pearl onion
- 600g courgette , cut into small chunks (about 2cm pieces)
- 6 firm pears , cored, and cut as the courgettes
- 100g salt
- 1.7l cider vinegar
- finger-length piece fresh root ginger , grated
- 2 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tbsp brown or black mustard seeds
- 300g golden caster sugar
- 8 tbsp cornflour
- 5 tbsp English mustard powder
- 3 tsp turmeric
- STEP 1
In a bowl, mix together the vegetables, pears and salt with 2 litres of cold water, then cover and leave overnight.
- STEP 2
The next day, drain the brine from the vegetables, rinse briefly, then tip into a large saucepan with the vinegar, ginger, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and sugar. Bring to the boil and simmer for 8-10 mins until the veg is just tender but still with a little bite. Drain the vegetables, reserving the liquid, and set aside while you make the sweet mustard sauce.
- STEP 3
In a large bowl, stir together the cornflour, mustard powder and turmeric, then gradually pour in the hot vinegar while whisking, until you have a lump-free, thin yellow sauce. Return it to the saucepan and bubble over a low heat, stirring constantly, for 4 mins until smooth and thickened. Stir in the veg and spoon into five sterilised 500ml jars while hot, then seal. Once cool, enjoy straight away, or store in a cool, dark cupboard for 2-3 months. Refrigerate once opened.