- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 4 hrs salting and pickling
- Makes 3 x 500ml jars
- 500g cauliflower , cut into small florets
- 200g courgette , cut into small chunks
- 100g green beans or French beans, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- 200g shallots , peeled and cut into small chunks or pearl onions, peeled and left whole or halved
- 600ml malt vinegar
- 3 tbsp English mustard powder
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp black or yellow mustard seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- STEP 1
Put the veg in a bowl and toss with 2 tbsp sea salt. Leave, covered at room temperature, for 4 hrs. Drain the veg and wash well under cold water. Drain well.
- STEP 2
Put 100ml of the vinegar in a bowl with the mustard powder, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric and flour. Mix well to make a paste.
- STEP 3
Heat the remaining 500ml vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and a pinch of salt until the sugar dissolves, then pour in the mustard vinegar mix, simmering and stirring for 5 mins until the mixture thickens. Fold in the drained veg, heat for 1 min taking the edge off the veg, but still retaining a bite, then remove from the heat, and pack into three 500ml warm sterilised jars. Seal and leave in a cool dark spot for six weeks or up to three months before opening. Once open, keep in the fridge and use within four weeks.