Apple, pear & walnut crumble
- Preparation and cooking time
- Prep: -
- Cook: -
- Serves 4 - 6
- 500g apple , peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- finely grated zest 1 lemon , juice of ½
- sprig rosemary (optional)
- 2 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 500g pear , peeled, cored and cut into large chunks
- custard or cream , to serve
For the crumble topping
- 100g pack walnut
- 175g granary or wholemeal flour (or plain white)
- 85g butter , diced
- 85g caster or light muscovado sugar
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 190C/fan 170C/gas 5. Put the chopped apples, lemon zest, rosemary, if using, and sugar in a saucepan. Add the lemon juice and cook for 3-4 mins. Tip in the pears and cook 2-3 mins more, until the fruits are just beginning to soften. Spoon the fruits and juices into a 1.7 litre pudding dish and flatten slightly.
- STEP 2
For the crumble, finely chop half the walnuts in a food processor until reduced to the consistency of ground almonds. Add the flour, butter and sugar and continue to blitz to a coarse or fine crumble mix, whichever you prefer.
- STEP 3
Roughly break the remaining walnuts with your fingers and stir into the crumble. Scatter the crumble mix on top of the fruits and bake for 20-25 mins until golden brown. Serve warm with cream or custard.