Frosted Marmalade Cake
Member recipe by takebrokenme
- For the sponge:
- 175g butter
- 175g golden, unrefined caster sugar
- a large orange
- 3 large eggs
- 75g orange marmalade
- 175g self-raising flour
- For the frosting:
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 tbsps orange juice
- Set the oven at 180ÃÂÃÂ°C/gas mark 4. Line a loaf tin about 25 x 11 x 7cm deep.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and beat till pale and fluffy
- Finely grate the orange
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and beat them lightly with a fork. With the machine at moderate speed, pour in the beaten egg, a little at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition.
- Beat in the marmalade and the grated orange zest.
- Remove the bowl and fold in the flour with a large metal spoon. Do this slowly, firmly but carefully, till there is no sign of any flour. Gently stir in the juice of half the orange.
- Spoon into the lined cake tin, lightly smoothing the top. Bake for 40 minutes, checking it after 35 with a metal skewer. Leave to cool in the tin, then remove and cool on a wire rack.
- Sieve the icing sugar and mix it to a smooth, slightly runny consistency with as much of the remaining orange juice as it takes. Drizzle the icing over the cake letting it run down the sides, and leave to set.