White asparagus and bacon soup
Member recipe by nickmoeke
Quick soup with a well blended flavour, perfect with a fresh loaf of bread.
- 300g white asparagus, roughly chopped
- large knob of butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 L veg bouillion
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain white flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 rashers bacon, cut into pieces
- Heat the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Once melted add the chopped onion, mix around to coat. Cover the pan for about 5 mins, stirring occasionally, making sure the onion doesn't brown. Meanwhile chop the asparagus. Add to the pan when the 5 mins is up. Stir well, add a pinch of salt and pepper, cover again and allow to cook for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Whilst the asparagus is cooking, heat a frying pan over a high heat, add the oil, and when hot add the bacon. Keep moving the bacon, let it crisp, then remove from heat. Add the bacon to the pan, after the asparagus has been cooking for 10 mins. Add a little stock to the frying pan to free up the flavours, and add this to the pan also. (It is important to not use too much stock at this point)
- Add the flour over the top, and stir well. When the flour isn't really visible anymore, gradually add the stock, again stirring well. Bring to boil if the stock has cooled, blend with a stick blender (if not now it can be done at the end with a standard blender, or leave it chunky), and put on a simmer for 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- After 20 mins, season to taste and enjoy.