Points to remember
- Heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7 and put a baking sheet in the oven.
- Put the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl and mix. Add the butter and rub it in with your fingers until the mixture looks like fine crumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, then make a well in the centre and pour in the warm milk. Add the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
- Combine the mixture with a cutlery knife. Don't overwork the dough even though it will seem pretty wet at first. Fold the dough over 2-3 times until it's a little smoother.
- Pat it into a round about 4cm deep.
- Take a 5cm smooth-edged cutter and dip it into flour. Plunge it straight into the dough without twisting. Repeat as many times as possible. Press the remaining dough back into a round to cut out more scones.
- Brush the tops with beaten egg and carefully place onto the hot baking tray.
- Bake for 10 minutes until they have risen and are golden on the top.
You can freeze scones when cooled. To eat, defrost and place in a low oven (160C/fan140C/gas 3) for a few minutes to refresh.
This video uses our classic scones recipe. The techniques used can be applied to most scone recipes.