Points to remember
- Combine your filling ingredients – chopped or minced meat, spices, herbs and seasoning.
- Put the lard and water in a pan and heat until the lard melts.
- Allow to cool slightly, pour into the flour and mix with a wooden spoon.
- Use your hands to bring the mixture together, then knead briefly to a smooth dough.
- Cut off about a quarter of the dough for the lid and set aside.
- Roll the remaining dough into a circle and place in a springform cake tin.
- Press the dough up the side of the tin and fill with the meat mixture.
- Roll the lid into a circle and put it on top, pinching the sides to seal the pie.
- Make a steam hole with the handle of a wooden spoon, then brush the top with beaten egg.
- Transfer to a preheated oven.
- Make sure the pie is totally cool before moving on to the next stage.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in water for about 5 minutes.
- Heat the stock until hot but not boiling.
- Squeeze the excess water from the gelatine so it doesn’t dilute the mixture further. Stir into the stock to dissolve. Cool to room temperature.
- Use a funnel to pour the jelly into the steam hole of the cooled pie. Put in the fridge overnight to set.
HOT WATER CRUST PASTRY
Once you have combined your pastry ingredients work quickly so the dough remains warm and pliable. It will become crumbly as it cools.