Points to remember
- Mix the flour, salt and yeast together and make a well in the centre.
- Beat the egg yolks, milk and melted butter together, tip into the well, then bring together with a cutlery or palette knife.
- Bring together into a wet, rough dough, then cover and leave for 10 minutes – this helps the gluten to develop.
- Oil the work surface to prevent sticking.
- Knead the dough for 5 – 10 mins until smooth and springy.
- Put the dough into a lightly oiled bowl
- Cover and leave until doubled in size (1 – 2 hours).
- Knead the dough lightly again, then cut into the desired number of doughnuts.
- Shape into rounds, sealing the bottom.
- Roll around in your cupped hand to create a smooth doughnut.
- Arrange on an oiled tray, cover with oiled cling film and leave for 30 mins – 1 hour until not quite doubled in size.
- Heat the oil to 180C.
- Cook the doughnuts in batches, turning them over with a slotted spoon to get an even colour.
- Take them out and pop them on a plate of sugar. Coat all over.
- Use a skewer to poke a hole in the doughnuts and pipe in the jam using a small round nozzle.
- They will feel heavy when full.
Put caster sugar in a brown paper bag, drop a doughnut in and give it a shake. This is a great way to coat it and absorb some of the oil.