Points to remember
- Make a well in the centre of the flour, salt and sugar mix and gradually add the warm milk and yeast mixture stirring all the time so you get a really smooth batter without lumps.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and leave it in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size – it should take around an hour.
- When the dough is ready, heat a frying pan and add a splash of oil. Grease the inside of your crumpet rings so they don’t stick.
- Take a spoonful of batter and drop it into the ring – fill it just over halfway. Keep the temperature low as you need to cook them quite slowly – around five minutes on a gentle heat.
- When more bubbles appear on the surface you can pop them under the grill to finish cooking.
How to know when the dough is ready
You can tell your dough is ready when it has doubled in size and has plenty of bubbles.