How to make choux pastry and eclairs
Magazine subscription – Try your first 5 issues for only £5
Make perfect light and puffed up choux pastry for eclairs or profiteroles.
Points to remember
- Gently heat milk, butter and water until the butter has melted, then bring to the boil.
- Once boiling, turn off the heat and quickly shoot in flour (and sugar, if using).
- Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture is well combined and comes away from the sides.
- Cool to hand temperature and beat in the eggs gradually to a smooth dough - the texture should be a reluctant dropping consistency.
- To make eclairs, fit a piping bag with a 1.5 – 2cm round nozzle.
- Pipe 12 cm lengths onto a greased baking sheet.
- Wet your finger and press down any peaks.
- Place in a heated oven and bake until golden and firm.
- Remove from the oven and cut open the eclairs, then return to the oven to dry out and crisp for a few minutes.
- Once cool, fill with piped, sweetened cream.
- Dip in melted chocolate and allow to set.