Points to remember
- Put a curved star nozzle into a piping bag, fill with icing and twist the end.
- Hold the end with one hand – usually your writing hand – and rest the tip of the bag in your other hand. Squeeze from the top of the bag with an even pressure.
- To make icing swirls, hold the bag above your cupcake.
- Pipe a ring of icing around the edge of the cupcake, continue overlapping the ring until you reach the centre.
- Stop the pressure when you reach the centre and draw up sharply to finish.
- To make a rose effect, again, hold the piping bag above the centre of the cupcake.
- Pipe in a swirl, working out in a circular motion towards the edge.
- When you reach the edge, swipe sharply around to finish.
FILLING YOUR PIPING BAG
Once you’ve put the nozzle into your piping bag, twist the bag just above the nozzle to stop any icing from oozing out as you fill it. Pop the bag into a jug and allow the top to hang over the rim while you scoop in the icing.