How to master the carbonara:
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan. Add 150g pancetta and 1 bashed garlic clove. Once crispy, remove the garlic.
- Beat together 2 egg yolks with a pinch of salt.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to a simmer. Add 200g spaghetti and cook until al dente. Turn off the heat but don’t drain the pasta.
- Using tongs, lift the pasta from the pan directly into the pancetta pan and stir. Add the egg yolks and stir vigorously. Gradually add pasta water to the pan and mix in, a small ladle at a time. Keep adding water until you see a little at the bottom of the pan.
- Add 50g parmesan gradually and beat. If at any time your sauce is getting claggy, add a little more pasta water.
- Transfer the pasta to warmed serving dishes and mix in an extra egg yolk if you like. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
See the full recipe for next level spaghetti carbonara.
Love making pasta dishes? Try these recipes next:
What's your favourite pasta dish to cook at home? Leave a comment below...