Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes Around 12 biscuits
Decadently delicious gingernuts, but quite chewy inside. The ground ginger makes them very gingery – for a milder biscuit, add just 1 teaspoonful.
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50g golden syrup
- 100g light soft brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5. Line 2 baking trays with baking parchment.
- STEP 2Melt the golden syrup and butter together in a saucepan over a gentle heat. Remove from the heat and beat in the brown sugar and egg yolk.
- STEP 3Sift the dry ingredients into a bowl. Add the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly. You might think the dough is too dry at first, as it will be very crumbly, but using your hands, keep working it together until it is smooth.
- STEP 4With your hands, roll dough into balls (about 25g) then place them – spaced well apart, as they will spread – on the baking trays. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until the biscuits are a rich golden brown and are cracked on the surface.
- STEP 5Remove the biscuits from the oven. They will be very soft, but don’t worry, they will firm up very quickly. As soon as they are firm enough, transfer them to a cooling rack with a palette knife.