Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
25 minute Crispy Thai Squid Sweet and Sour Salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- (plus 30 mins marinating)
- Serves 4
Serve this delicious light supper as part of a Thai menu or as a generous starter. If liked use prepared squid rings for this instead.
- 1 carrot
- ½ red onion
- 50ml rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Thai Taste palm sugar
- 50ml Thai Taste sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp Thai Taste fish sauce
- The juice of ½ lime
- 400g squid rings
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 10g Fresh Thai Holy basil
- 10g coriander leaves
- 10g mint leaves
- STEP 1Cut the carrot and onion into wafer thin slices and place in a bowl.
- STEP 2In a small pan, boil the rice vinegar with 50ml water and the palm sugar for 1 minute then pour over the onions and carrots and leave for 30 mins.
- STEP 3Mix the sweet chilli sauce, fish sauce and lime juice together and set aside.
- STEP 4Mix the flour, salt and pepper together on a plate and toss the squid rings in it.
- STEP 5Fill a deep sided frying pan with oil about 2 cm deep and heat until a piece of squid sizzles immediately. Add half the squid and fry for 1-2 mins until golden brown and crispy. Drain on kitchen paper and fry the remaining squid.
- STEP 6Pick the leaves from the stalks of the herbs.
- STEP 7Drain the carrots and red onion and toss with the herbs.
- STEP 8Arrange on 4 plates, top with the squid and drizzle with the sweet and sour sauce.