Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Comforting, awakening, smoky paella with a little bit of lingering heat.
- 300g Paella rice
- x6 Chicken thighs (boneless - cut into 1 inch chunks)
- 100g Chorizo (diced)
- 165g pack King Prawns (de-shelled & de-veined)
- Half a red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (crushed)
- x4 large tomatoes (de-seeded & finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 Red chilli pepper (chopped to fine slices)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper
- 1.5 pints chicken stock
- 1 sweet red pepper (finely chopped)
- 150g frozen peas
- 1 pinch Saffron
- 1 tsp Turmeric (for colour)
- Lemon juice (& wedges to serve)
- Fresh parsley (finely chopped for garnish)
- STEP 1Pre-heat oven to 160^C. Heat olive oil in a large pan, or Paella dish if you have one. Add the chopped onion, garlic & chilli and sweat down until softened. Then add tomato & pepper.
- STEP 2Once all vegetables have softened, push to the sided of the pan & add the chicken to the middle where it's hottest. Brown the chicken slightly and combine all together, adding salt, pepper & paprika. Cook the prawns separately.
- STEP 3Once the chicken is coloured all over, add the chorizo. Cook for 8-10 mins until chicken is cooked through, and chorizo had produced oil. Once it's juicy enough, add the paella rice and mix well.Meanwhile, Infuse the saffron in a small cup of warm water and add to the stock when ready.
- STEP 4Add a quarter of the saffron-infused stock, stir, and let simmer until rice has absorbed the stock. Repeat this process until you have a quarter of the stock left.
- STEP 5Add turmeric, salt & pepper (if needing more), a little more paprika, tomato puree. Also add the cooked prawns, frozen peas & stir well. Put into oven for 15 mins.
- STEP 6Take pan out, add remaining stock & more if needed. Squeeze half a lemon in and return to oven for further 10-15 mins.
- STEP 7Serve on pre-warmed plates/bowls, and sprinkle with parsley and add a wedge of lemon. Also serve with a dollop of sour cream for a little relief if you don't like too much heat!