Chicken & chorizo paella
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Try swapping traditional seafood paella for a chicken and chorizo version – a hearty family supper for four
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts fillets, cut into chunks
- 2 small onions, finely sliced
- 1 fat garlic clove, crushed
- 140g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- pinch of saffron
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300g paella rice
- 850ml hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 200g frozen peas
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
- ½ small bunch of parsley, finely chopped, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan over a high heat. Brown the chicken all over – don’t cook completely. Once browned, transfer to a plate.
- STEP 2
Reduce the heat to low, add the onions and cook slowly until softened, about 10 mins. Add the garlic, stir for 1 min, then toss in the chorizo and fry until it releases its oils.
- STEP 3
Stir in the spices, then tip in the rice. Stir to coat the rice in the oils and spices for about 2 mins, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, return the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 20 mins, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 4
Add the peas to the pan and simmer for a further 5 mins until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender. Season well and serve with the lemon and parsley.