Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Butternut & Sage Gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Creamy roasted veggies with a golden crunchy topping, this recipe is vegetarian comfort food at its very best. Whilst the classic flavour combination of butternut squash and sage speaks for itself, the showstopping element of this dish lies in that cheesy crumb
- 1 large butternut squash
- 2 punnets Chestnut mushrooms
- 1 bunch Sage
- Veg Stock
- Panko Breadcrumbs
- Baby leaves
- 2 Onions
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Creme Fraiche
- 5 tbsp Olive Oil
- 100ml water
- STEP 1Preheat your oven to 200°C. Halve the butternut squash lengthways (no need to peel!) and scoop out the seeds. Chop into 1cm cubes and lay on a baking tray. Drizzle over a little oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then spread out evenly and roast on the top shelf of your oven until soft and golden, 30-35 mins. TIP: Make sure the squash is cut nice and small or it'll take a little longer to cook.
- STEP 2Halve, peel and chop the onion into ½cm pieces. Cut each chestnut mushroom into about five slices. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Pick the sage leaves from their stalks and finely chop (discard the stalks).
- STEP 3Heat a glug of oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms until browned, 5-7 mins. Add the onion and cook until soft, 3-5 mins, then add the garlic and half the sage. Cook for 1 minute more. Stir in the crème fraîche, stock powder, water (see ingredients list for amount) and cavolo nero. Stir to dissolve the stock powder. Simmer until the cavolo nero has softened, 4-5 more mins. TIP: Add a splash of water if the mix looks a little too dry!
- STEP 4Next, make the crumb. Pop the remaining sage in a small bowl with the panko breadcrumbs, cheese and olive oil (see ingredients for amount). Season with pepper. Preheat your grill to high.
- STEP 5When the butternut is ready, remove from the oven and add it to the creamy veggies. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. Transfer to an ovenproof dish and sprinkle over the cheesy crumb topping. Pop under the grill until golden brown and crunchy, 3-5 mins.
- STEP 6Meanwhile, pop the baby leaves in a large bowl and drizzle over the olive oil (see ingredients for amount). Season with salt and pepper. Toss together. Serve the gratin on plates with the baby leaf salad on the side. Enjoy!