Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Braised neck of lamb
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Neck of lamb braised in red wine with vegetables
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1.5 kg lamb neck cut into 4-5 cm pieces
- 4 celery stalks chopped into chunks
- 2 carrots chopped into chunks
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 6 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 750 mls red wine
- Handful of thyme sprigs
- 1/2 tin tomatoes
- 6 shallots
- Optional - handful cherry tomatoes
- Optional - handful pitted kalamata olives
- Salt and pepper
- STEP 1Preheat oven to 180 c. Season the lamb neck with salt and pepper, then heat the oil and butter in a large oven proof dish. Sear the lamb for 8-10 mins, turning as needed then transfer to a plate.
- STEP 2Add the celery, carrot and onion to the pot and cook for 10 minutes until golden. Reduce the heat then add the garlic and tomato paste and caramelise.
- STEP 3Add the wine and stock, bring to a simmer and add the lamb, tinned tomatoes and thyme. Bring to a simmer then cover and cook in oven for 2 1/2 hrs.
- STEP 4Remove lid and stir in shallots, then continue cooking for 1/2 hr.
- STEP 5Optional - remove from oven and add cherry tomatoes and olives. Replace lid and leave to stand for 5 minutes.