Quick chicken cacciatore
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
A quick and tasty version of the Italian classic, which will soon become your family's favourite supper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g tins cherry tomatoes
- One red pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- Large handful of basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons marscapone
- 6 chicken breasts, skin on
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas mark 4. In a large saucepan, cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil, for around 4-5 minutes, until they are soft. Take care not to allow them to brown.
- STEP 2Add the cherry tomatoes, chopped peppers, and fennel seeds, and simmer for 10 minutes. Take from the heat and allow to cool slightly for 2 minutes, before stirring in the marscapone cheese. Season to taste.
- STEP 3In a large frying pan, fry the chicken breasts in a little olive oil, skin side down, for around 5-6 minutes. Make sure that the skin gets really crispy. Turn them, and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- STEP 4Transfer the chicken breasts to an oven proof casserole dish, and pour over the sauce. Sprinkle with the torn basil leaves, reserving a few to decorate at the end. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- STEP 5Finally, sprinkle with the reserved basil leaves and serve immediately. This is delicious served with Mediterranean style rice, or roasted baby new potatoes.