Broccoli, Gruyère and chorizo soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
A warming autumn/winter soup
- 2 heads of broccoli
- 1.5 litres of chicken stock
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 heaped tbsp mustard seeds
- 1.5 heaped tbsp fennel seeds
- 150g cooking chorizo, cubed
- 150g Gruyère, grated
- 1 tbsp rapeseed/sunflower oil
- a few tbsp of light cream
- STEP 1Dry-roast the mustard and fennel seeds over medium heat until the mustard seeds start to pop. Using a mortar and pestle, grind to a fine powder.
- STEP 2In a medium to large saucepan, fry the cubed chorizo (without using any additional oi/butter) for 4 minutes over medium heat until coloured and releasing their wonderfully fragrant oil.
- STEP 3Add the tbsp of oil, give it a moment to heat up and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes until just starting to brown.
- STEP 4Add mustard/fennel powder, mix well and fry for another minute (stirring continuously).
- STEP 5Add broccoli and chicken stock. Up the heat and bring to a boil.
- STEP 6Pop a lid on, turn down the heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- STEP 7Blend the soup well using a handheld mixer/blender before adding the Gruyère, cream and chorizo. Stir well.