Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Spicy Red Pepper, Chorizo and Orzo Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 4 good sized bowls
I stumbled upon this recipe in a magazine around 7 years ago and haven't found/seen it anywhere since! I have adapted ever so slightly to my own taste. The cayenne pepper adds a kick and you could always ramp it up to 1tsp if you're feeling particularly brave (and love heat). A low calorie, filling soup that will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy. This recipe makes 4 generous servings and is around 215 calories per serving. If you leave the soup for a while rather than serving immediately, it'll turn into a much thicker consistency due to the orzo (stew like).
- 2 Red peppers, sliced
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Garlic clove, crushed
- 60g chorizo diced
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (1 tsp if you like heat)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 vegetable stock cubes made up with 1L of boiling water
- 100g orzo (or any small pasta)
- STEP 1Heat a large saucepan and add the chorizo, cooking until it starts to release the fat. The bottom of the pan should turn a nice orange colour.
- STEP 2Add onions and red peppers and cook until onion starts to turn translucent, followed by the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- STEP 3Add tomatoes and cayenne pepper and simmer for 10 minutes. Add stock and bring to a rolling boil then turn down to a simmer. Add the orzo and cook for around 10 minutes which is when it should be ready to serve.
- STEP 4If you serve immediately, it is a soup consistency. If you leave it for a while and re-heat later, it'll thicken up quite considerably and turn into more of a stew.