Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Tibetan Thukpa (Noodle Soup) with Italian Spaghetti
- Preparation and cooking time
- Tip to chop the daikon or radish: Peel the radish and chop off both ends. Cut into thin, narrow strips the size of your finger and soak them in salt water (1 tsp salt) and rinse several times to get rid of the salt and pungent smell of radish)
- Serves 3
Thukpa is a common Tibetan noodle soup which originated in East Tibet. This healthy noodle soup originally comprises of homemade hand pulled noodles and winter vegetables. You can even add veggies of your choice.
- 8 ounce (250 gm) Chicken (with fats for a better soup)
- 1 small Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Chicken stock or 1 cube Chicken bouillon (can be replaced with veg bouillon or stock for a veg version)
- 1 tsp Garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp Ginger, minced
- 1 medium size Daikon (Japanese radish)
- 2-3 medium size Button mushrooms, halved
- 1 stalk Spring onion, chopped
- 1 stalk Celery,chopped
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1/2 a bunch of fresh Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 small Broccoli, florets cubed equally
- 1 small Carrot, sliced into round shapes
- 7.05 ounce (200 gm) Spaghetti
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper, coarsely ground
- STEP 1Chop the chicken into bite size pieces and boil in 3 cups of water along with the stock or the bouillon, garlic, minced ginger, chopped onions, mushrooms, celery, soy sauce on high heat. (almost 5 mins)
- STEP 2Once the broth starts boiling bring down to medium heat and cook for about 15 minutes or little more. Turn to low and boil for another 25-30 mins for a better and tastier thukpa.
- STEP 3Add 3 more cup of water to the broth and bring to a boil on high heat (another 5 mins). Once the broth starts boiling add in the radish, carrots, broccoli florets, black pepper powder and cook for almost 3 mins.
- STEP 4Time to add the spaghetti now. (You can pre-boil the noodles for about 5-6 mins in 2 liter of water and then add them into the soup) Cook the soup for another 4-5 mins.
- STEP 5Finally, add in the chopped coriander, spring onions and turn off the heat. Stir in and let stand for a couple of minutes before serving them pipping hot right away.