Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Shitake Mushrooms & Calves Liver Taglierini
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
A quick mid-week meal that is must for anyone keen to experiment with Italian food. Shitake mushrooms, calves liver and taglierini recipe by What Dad Cooked.
- 125g DeCecco egg taglierini (or equivalent of other brand)
- 150g shitake mushrooms
- 250g British calves liver
- 2 thin slices of speck (optional)
- 1 small onion
- 1 small stick of celery
- 1 clove of garlic
- 250ml chicken stock
- 100ml crème fraiche
- 1 bay leaf
- 1tbs chopped tarragon
- 2 tbs chopped parsley
- Butter and olive oil
- 2 tsp sherry vinegar or aged balsamic vinegar
- STEP 1Put a large pan of water on for the pasta. Add a large pinch of salt, and heat to a boil whilst making the sauce.
- STEP 2Clean the celery, peel it and chop finely. Chop the onion and garlic finely. Slice the mushrooms thinly.
- STEP 3Remove any sinews and connective tissue from the liver and slice the liver into thin strips. Slice the spec, if using, into thin short strips.
- STEP 4Add 25g butter and a tsp of olive oil to a large sauté pan and sweat the onion, celery and garlic on a medium heat for 15 minutes until the onions are starting to turn transparent and golden. Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until the mushrooms let off their moisture and begin to fry – about 8 minutes. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, half the tarragon and parsley and bring back to a boil, simmer for a few minutes to reduce slightly. Set aside and keep warm.
- STEP 5Put the pasta into boiling water and cook according to instructions or until al dente.
- STEP 6In a separate pan, fry the speck and calves liver in a little butter on a relatively high heat. They do not take long to cook, but do not move them about – spread evenly on the pan and let them get a little colour on one side. Quickly stir in the vinegar and let it cook to reduce slightly. When the liver is just done, add to the mushroom pan and stir in the Crème fraîche, heating gently.
- STEP 7Drain the pasta – reserving a cup of pasta water – and add to the sauce. Shake and toss the pan to combine and mix the pasta with the sauce. Let this rest for a minute or two to meld flavours and for the pasta to absorb the sauce. Add pasta water to thin if needed.
- STEP 8Serve, with green vegetables and carrots or spinach.