Turkey, Leek and Asparagus Pie
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
If you are after a hot, hearty meal then look no further!
- 500g of boneless turkey (any cut)
- 4 medium leeks
- 125g of asparagus
- 4 generous tbsp of low fat Crème Fresh
- 500ml of chicken stock (one stock cube)
- A handful of mushrooms
- Salt to season
- Pepper to season
- 2 gloves of crushed garlic
- 1 tsp of each dried herb - Rosemary, Thyme and Sage
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Generous tsp of English mustard
- 100ml of white wine (Any type)
- Plain white flour
- 250g of puff pastry (Jus-Rol)
- 1 beaten egg
- STEP 1Cut the leeks into discs removing the green, leafy section and cut both the asparagus and the mushrooms into quarters. Then, add all of the vegetables to a large pan along with a tbsp of olive oil. Cook on a medium heat for around 10 minutes to allow them to soften and reduce in size. Dice up your turkey into small bite-size pieces and coat it in a thin layer of flour as this will serve as a thickening agent. Add the Turkey to the pan and cook until it is sealed.
- STEP 2Now, add the stock, salt, pepper, crème fresh, herbs, garlic, mustard and wine then stir thoroughly. Bring to a boil and cook on a medium heat for a further 10 minutes to allow the ingredients to blend and the sauce to thicken.
- STEP 3Once cooked, drain the majority of the sauce using a sieve and an additional pan. This will be used as gravy to serve. It also stops the pastry getting soggy but still allowing the contents to be full of flavour.
- STEP 4Add the pie filler into a large, square lasagne style dish. Roll out the pastry so it is large enough to cover the dish however when placing it on, do not coat it around the rim. Instead, tuck it around the filler as best you can.
- STEP 5Using a knife, gently score the surface of the pastry in a diagonal cross-hatch pattern and then coat with beaten egg.
- STEP 6Place it an oven at 190C and cook for at least 30 minutes until the pastry is golden-brown. Serve with the gravy you previously extracted and your choice of sides such as vegetables and potatoes.