- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 2
General Tso's chicken is a sweet, slightly spicy, deep-fried chicken dish that is popularly served in American and Canadian Chinese restaurants. The dish is most commonly regarded as a Hunanese dish, although it was unknown in China and other lands home to the Chinese diaspora before it was introduced by chefs returning from the United States
- 1 Onion Finely Sliced
- 7 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, (6 For Sauce 1 For Batter)
- 4 Tablespoons Rice Wine
- 3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoon Hoisin Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Thumb Sized Piece Finely Sliced Ginger
- 3 Cloves Garlic Finely Chopped
- 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Seed Oil
- 3 Eggs Whisked
- 3 Tablespoons & 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 4 Cups Groundnut Oil
- 1 1/2 Lb Chicken (Breast)
- 1 pack Straight to wok noodles
- STEP 1In a medium bowl, mix the Soy Sauce, Rice Wine, Rice Vinegar, Hoisin Sauce Sesame Oil, Garlic, Ginger, Red Pepper and Onion until the sugar is dissolved and set aside in the refrigerator.
- STEP 2Cut the chicken into thumb-sized pieces.
- STEP 3Mix the 3 tbsp corn starch with 3 tbsp cold water, for use in thickening the sauce.
- STEP 4In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until well mixed. Add the 1 cup cornstarch and soy sauce and mix until smooth. Add the chicken and toss by hand until well coated.
- STEP 5Heat the oil in a wok or deep fryer until just smoking. Add the chicken a few pieces at a time by lifting them from the egg mixture with a wire basket, separating them if they get stuck together in the frying oil.
- STEP 6Deep fry the chicken until the coating is a light golden brown.
- STEP 7Remove the chicken from the oil using a wire basket and drain on paper towels.
- STEP 8If you used the wok to deep fry the chicken: Remove all of the oil from the wok. Be careful with this step, the oil is dangerously hot and if it drains down the side of the wok it will catch fire. Don't ask me how I know.
- STEP 9Otherwise if you used a deep fryer: Add 1 tbsp peanut oil to a hot wok and stir to coat the sides so the chicken doesn't stick to the metal.
- STEP 10Return the chicken to the wok and stir fry over high heat until the coating is crispy and a bit darker but still golden brown.
- STEP 11Remove the chicken from the wok and set aside. Remove any oil and stray bits of batter from the wok -- again, be careful with this step.
- STEP 12Add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the sauce slightly and begin adding the thickening mixture made with the 3 Tablespoons of Starch with water.
- STEP 13When it is the consistency of pancake syrup, add the chicken and stir well to coat the chicken pieces. The sauce should immediately thicken to molasses consistency. Add to straight to wok noodles and cook until soft. Toss to coat the chicken well and remove from heat. Serve immediately.