Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes Around 2 litres
A basic tomato sauce concentrate. Full of flavour which can be added to a variety of dishes to add some punch to the taste. Great to use as part of a pizza topping! Makes around 2 litres.
- Olive oil
- 8-10 onions roughly chopped
- 4-6 carrots peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 whole celery, base removed and roughly chopped
- 2 x 400ml tins of chopped tomatoes
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 big handfuls of fresh basil leaves
- STEP 1Heat 5-6 tablespoons of olive to a large flame-proof casserole and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for 5-10 minutes stirring until the onions have softened a little.
- STEP 2Add the chopped tomatoes, red wine vinegar, season with the salt and plenty of black pepper. Stir well, cover and simmer on the lowest heat for an hour.
- STEP 3After an hour, turn off the heat and let cool for 30 minutes.
- STEP 4Stir in the basil leaves and using a liquidiser blend in batches until smooth.
- STEP 5Divide the sauce into as many 150ml click-lock plastic containers as you can and put them in the freezer. These can then be taken out and defrosted as and when you need them.