Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Baked Prawns with Tomatoes and Feta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Delicious, light meal. I usually serve with a Greek salad
- 24 large raw prawns
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 200g (7oz) shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme or 1 and a half tablespoons of dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick or half teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 800g (28oz) ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- salt and pepper
- 250g (9oz) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 bunch of spring onions, finely shredded
- half a teaspoon aniseed
- 2 teaspoons cold-pressed flaxseed oil (optional)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Wash the prawns and pat dry.
- STEP 2Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan over a low heat, add the shallots and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add 1 crushed garlic clove, together with two-thirds of the thyme, the bay leaves and cinnamon. Add the tomatoes, stir briefly, then cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes, to allow the flavours to blend. Season to taste.
- STEP 3Transfer the tomato sauce to a large, shallow ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the crumbled feta cheese and place in the oven for about 5 minutes.
- STEP 4Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan. AAdd the spring onions, the remaining garlic and thyme, and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the prawns and aniseed and cook, turning frequently, for a couple of minutes. As soon as the prawns are opaque, add them to the dish with the tomatoes and feta and cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes so the flavours can develop fully.
- STEP 5Drizzle the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over the top, together with the flaxseed oil, if using. Leave to cool slightly before serving.