- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 6
Warm and filling, and freezes very well.
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 12 sausages
- 6 rashers rindless bacon ut into 1" bits
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 400g can butter beans
- Salt & pepper
- 100 ml water
- STEP 1Heat the oil in a frying pan, fry the sausages for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove and place in pan.
- STEP 2Fry the bacon pieces in the frying pan until they begin to brown and crisp then place in pan
- STEP 3Fry the onions in the frying pan over a medium heat for five minutes until they start to soften, stirring often.
- STEP 4Add the garlic and cook for 2–3 minutes more until the onions turn pale golden-brown, stirring frequently.
- STEP 5Sprinkle over the paprika and cook together for a few seconds longer.
- STEP 6Stir in the tomatoes, chicken stock, tomato puree, sugar and herbs.
- STEP 7Pour over water and bring to a simmer.
- STEP 8Tip into the pan with the sausages and bacon and return to a simmer, then reduce the heat, cover the pan and leave to simmer very gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 9Drain the beans and rinse them under cold running water. Stir the beans into the casserole, and continue to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- STEP 10Season to taste with salt and pepper.