Smoky sausage casserole
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 large celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 peppers (any colour), cut into chunks
- pack 6 pork sausage (about 400g/14oz)
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 250g bag spinach (or use the same quantity as frozen)
- 2 tbsp fresh breadcrumbs (or frozen with herbs)
- STEP 1
Put the oil in a large, heatproof casserole dish over a medium heat and add the onion, cooking for 5 mins until starting to soften. Tip in the garlic, celery and peppers, and give everything a good stir. Cook for 5 mins more.
- STEP 2
Turn the heat to high and add the sausages. Cook for a few mins until browned all over, then reduce the heat to medium, sprinkle in the spices and season well. Pour over the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cover and continue simmering gently for 40 mins, stirring every now and then.
- STEP 3
Heat the grill to high and uncover the casserole. Add the beans and spinach, and stir to warm through. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and grill for 2-3 mins until golden and crisp.