Spinach & Chicken Curry
- Preparation and cooking time
- 6-8 hours marinating
- Serves 4
A super easy chicken recipe that is great for easy entertaining.
- 5 tablespoons natural yogurt
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- 750 g (1½ lb) boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 400 g (13 oz) frozen cream spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 100 ml (3½ fl oz) water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- STEP 1Mix together the yogurt, garlic, ginger, ground coriander and curry powder. Season well. Place the chicken in a large, non-metallic bowl and pour over the yogurt mixture. Toss to mix well, cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 8–10 hours.
- STEP 2Place the spinach in a saucepan and cook over a medium heat for 6–8 minutes. Season and drain thoroughly. Place the cooked spinach in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- STEP 3Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and add the onion. Cook over a gentle heat for 10–12 minutes, then add the cumin seeds and stir-fry for 1 minute. Increase the heat to high, add the chicken mixture and stir-fry for 6–8 minutes. Pour in the measured water and the spinach and bring to the boil.
- STEP 4Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly and cook for 25–30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through
- STEP 5Uncover the pan, check the seasoning and cook over a high heat for 3–4 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice. Serve immediately.
- STEP 6Serve with Rice, Couscous or Pasta