Prawns in Coconut Milk
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 4
Succulent prawns slowly simmered in a coconut milk gravy
- 500 gms prawns
- 2 onions, pureed
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- Coconut milk from one whole coconut
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp oil
- Dessicated coconut to garnish
- STEP 1First apply some salt and turmeric to the prawns and set them aside for at least 30 minutes.
- STEP 2In the meantime extract the coconut milk. Grate the coconut and put it in a mixer with some warm water. Give it a good blitz and then strain the milk. The first extract will be thick and creamy. Put the grated coconut back with some more warm water and purée it well. The second extract will be thinner.
- STEP 3Heat a little bit of oil and lightly sauté the prawns. You will find them changing colour and becoming redder. Take them out and keep them aside.
- STEP 4Heat some more oil and add some cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle add the onion paste and ginger paste. Sauté till it starts leaving oil. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and sugar. Fry for a minute or so and add a cup of water. Once it comes to a boil slowly add the coconut milk.
- STEP 5Now add the prawns, put the flame on low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.
- STEP 6Garnish with some shredded coconut.