Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Healthy Kiwi Upside-Down Cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 8
Packed with fruity tastes and textures, this cake is a delicious treat! Great for when entertaining too, especially in summer or when winter is dragging on far too long.
- 25g brown Muscovado sugar
- 200g applesauce plus 20g extra
- 200g dessicated coconut plus 50g extra
- 200g all purpose self raising flour or alternative
- 3 eggs
- 200g sugar or sugar substitute
- Six kiwis, peeled and sliced
- Cranberries/raisins/other dried fruit
- 100g butter plus 20g extra
- Lime juice to taste, plus any spices you may like.
- STEP 1Blend the caster sugar, butter and applesauce in a large bowl, leaving some behind. Add in the coconut, and eggs, and then add the flour. Keep stirring until it has the right consistency.
- STEP 2In a seperate bowl (making sure it is microwable) melt the butter and apples at ce together with the Muscovado.
- STEP 3Pour the sugar butter mix into the bottom of a greased cake tin. Arrange the kiwis and cranberries into this mixture. Then add the lime to the cake batter and pour it on top. Bake at Gas Mark 5 for 45-50 minutes.
- STEP 4Don't worry if the fruit comes off as removing cake from tin, just replace and sprinkle with coconut. Serve warm or cold.