Zingy lemon cupcakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 20-25 mins cooking and 5-10 mins cooling time.
- More effort
- Makes Muffins
These are great for partys of as a snack if you are a bit peckish.
For the cakes:
- 125g of softened butter
- 125g of caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g of self raising flour
- 2 tbsp of milk
- 2 lemons
For the icing
- 175g of softened butter
- 350g of icing sugar
- STEP 1Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- STEP 2Using a whisk, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- STEP 3Add the eggs, flour (sifted), milk and the zest of the two lemons and a little squeeze of juice.
- STEP 4Mix everything until it is a smooth mixture.
- STEP 5Spoon one and a half tea spoons of the mix into the cake cases.
- STEP 6Bake in the oven for 10-15 mins.
- STEP 7While they are cooking, make the icing by whisking the butter in a bowl. Then add the icing sugar and mix.
- STEP 8Add the zest if any remaining lemon zest and however much of the rest of lemon juice. (depending how zingy you want them to be)
- STEP 9Put the cakes on a cooling rack to cool. When they have finished cooling, pipe or spread the icing in to the cakes.
- STEP 10You could add a lemon flavour sweet of a small pice of chopped up lemon if wanted. And there you have it, one batch of delicious Zingy lemon cupcakes ready to take to a party or picnic or just to put in a box to save for another day. Make sure you have eaten them in a week or they won't taste as good as they are meant to.