Hovis White Loaf Recipe
Member recipe by fluffybread
ServingsServes 1 - 1 Bread
- 500g/1lb 2oz Hovis strong white bread flour.
- 25g/1oz butter or margarine.
- 1:1/4 tsp salt.
- 1:1/2 tsp Hovis fast action yeast.
- 300ml/10 fl oz warm water
- 2 tsp sugar to give added flavor and thicker crust (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, (optional sugar) and salt, rub in the butter or margarine and then stir in the yeast.
- Stir in the water and mix into a soft dough by hand.
- Knead the dough for about 5 minutes in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook, or turn out onto a floured surface and knead well for 10 minutes by hand.
- Shape the dough, then place in a greased 2lb tin or on a baking tray. Cover with a clean, damp tea towel. (this stops the dough drying out) and leave in a warm place until doubled in size (1:1/2-2 hours).
- Uncover and bake in an oven, preheated to 230C (450F, gas mark 8) for 30-35 minutes.
- Take the loaf out of the tin and cool on a rack. (the baked loaf should sound hollow when tapped underneath)