Sesame Chicken and Broccoli With Basmati Rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Delicious, quick Chinese comfort food
- Basmati rice (180g)
- Broccoli (300g)
- Vegetarian Chicken Pieces (300g)
- Egg (1)
- Garlic (1 Clove)
- Spring Onions (1 small bunch)
- Cornstarch (1Tbsp)
- Sesame Seed
- Soy Sauce
- Toasted Sesame Oil
- STEP 1Using a strainer or colander rinse the rice under cold running water, drain and transfer to a small saucepan. Add water (250ml) and bring the mixture to a boil over a high heat.
- STEP 2In a medium bowl whisk together egg and cornstarch. Add the chicken pieces into the egg mixture and toss to coat. Set aside.
- STEP 3Once the liquid comes to a boil stir in the mixture and cover the saucepan. Reduce the heat and cook the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed (About 15-20 minutes) Once done remove the rice from the heat and let it stand, still covered for another 5 minutes.
- STEP 4Wash and cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets. Wash and trim the spring onions and finely chop.
- STEP 5Heat a skillet over a medium-high heat.
- STEP 6Peel and mince garlic. In a small bowl prepare the sauce by whisking together garlic, honey, soy sauce, oil and seeds. Set the mixture aside.
- STEP 7Coat the bottom of the skillet with oil and cook the broccoli for about 3-4 mins, stirring frequently, until the broccoli is tender. Add the Quorn chicken, and the honey and soy mixture, and cook for 3-4 mins. Add the spring onions and cook for 1-2 mins until the sauce thickens up.