Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Corn Tortilla from scratch
- Preparation and cooking time
- 8-10 hours steep overnight
- More effort
- Makes 10 small tortillas
Simple guide how to make your own tortillas from the corn kernels
- 200g Corn kernels (flint corn)
- 600ml Water
- 3g Pickling Lime (calcium hydroxide)
- STEP 1Use a stainless steel pot. Add all ingredients.
- STEP 2Cook slowly for 40-50 minutes. Just slow simmer, no lid, stir it frequently.
- STEP 3It's OK to add more water if needed. Corn should stay submerged in the liquid.
- STEP 4Turn off the heat cover the pot and Let it steep overnight at room temperature. Minimum 8-10hours. Corn can stay in the pickling lime solution up to 24hours.
- STEP 5Rinse under running water and rub gently to remove the corn skin. You mastered the process of Nixtamalization :)
- STEP 6Run twice or tree times in the food processor to create the Masa dough. Or use the corn grinder.
- STEP 7Make a little balls from the Masa dough. Place it between two plastic sheets. I use the plastic bag for frozen food. Press it in tortilla press, or if you don't have it, just like me, press it under a flat pot or pan.
- STEP 8Preheat the skillet or pan with heavy bottom. Tortillas likes hot pan. NO Oil. 30-40sec on each side.