- 1 large bunch of carrots , peeled and cut into diagonal slices (approx. 500g/1lb 2oz)
- 5 banana shallots , quartered
- 4 garlic cloves , lightly crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g pearl barley
- small pack parsley , roughly chopped
- ½ small pack dill , roughly chopped
- 140g blue cheese , crumbled
- a few fennel tops or dill, to serve (optional)
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the sliced carrots in a large roasting tin with the shallots, garlic and fennel seeds. Drizzle over the oil, toss everything together and season. Roast for 35-40 mins until everything has caramelised and the carrots are tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, boil the pearl barley in a large pan of salted water until al dente, about 30 mins. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together with some seasoning. Remove the carrots from the oven.
- STEP 3
Strain the pearl barley and toss through the dressing, carrots, dill, parsley and half the cheese. Finish with a few of the fennel tops and the remaining cheese. Serve warm or cold with a slice or two of warm buttered soda bread, if you like.