- 1 large bunch of carrots, peeled and cut into diagonal slices (approx. 500g/1lb 2oz)
The carrot, with its distinctive bright orange colour, is one of the most versatile root…
- 5 banana shallots, quartered
- 4 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
A dried seed that comes from the fennel herb, fennel seeds look like cumin seeds, only greener,…
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Probably the most widely-used oil in cooking, olive oil is pressed from fresh olives. It's…
- 300g pearl barley
- small pack parsley, roughly chopped
One of the most ubiquitous herbs in British cookery, parsley is also popular in European and…
- ½ small pack dill, roughly chopped
- 140g blue cheese, crumbled
- a few fennel tops or dill, to serve (optional)
For the dressing
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Put the sliced carrots in a large roasting tin with the shallots, garlic and fennel seeds. Drizzle over the oil, toss everything together and season. Roast for 35-40 mins until everything has caramelised and the carrots are tender.
Meanwhile, boil the pearl barley in a large pan of salted water until al dente, about 30 mins. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together with some seasoning. Remove the carrots from the oven.
Strain the pearl barley and toss through the dressing, carrots, dill, parsley and half the cheese. Finish with a few of the fennel tops and the remaining cheese. Serve warm or cold with a slice or two of warm buttered soda bread, if you like.